Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sports Caster and my cousin, Pat Marsden died today.


My cousin Pat Marsden died today around 6 am in Toronto. He was moderately famous, having been a popular sportscaster in Canada on the CTV network, and after many years, he retired to Florida. Among his many accomplishments was being the TV host of the Canada/Russia hockey series back in 1972. I met him a number of times, but in reality, I probably knew his mother better than I knew him. Virtually every news outlet in Canada has something about his death this morning. He had been a smoker since age 4, and he died from lung cancer. The Picture above is from when he used to do the play-by-play of CFL football games. He obviously loved sports, and it must have been a great life to work at something that you love.

I do know a few stories about him...and he was quite the character. Interviewed by Earl McRae while in the hospital and he was philosophical about his fatal diganosis in February.

"There's nothing I can do about it, Earl. When your time comes, it comes. We're all going sometime, I just didn't expect it to come this soon for me. Three weeks ago I told my wife, 'You know what? I can't get over how great I feel.' But I have no regrets. I'm 69 and I've had a good life with lots of laughs and lots of friends. Lots of great memories."

Visitation will take place at the Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home, on 467 Sherbourne. The hours are Sunday from 7-9 p.m., Monday 2-4 p.m. and again from 7-9 p.m.

His funeral will be held at St. Michael's Cathedral on Bond Street at 10 a.m. on Tuesday morning.


Although he was living in Toronto, he grew up here in Ottawa. His mother is buried here I believe...His mother was a wonderful person, who was very kind to my family. I guess they will have alot to discuss.

Somewhere in the Summer Lands, another person walks up to the football field, and starts telling jokes about the guys playing. He knows them all, and they stop the game when they notice him. They give him a warm welcome, then go back to the game. For that was their lives, and so too, it was Pat's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home